Cleaning sex toys protects them from infections, and bacteria can build up on them without regular washing. To protect yourself and your partner from unwanted diseases, wash sex toys after each use.
Before buying a sex toy, it is important to find out what it is made of because the method of cleaning also depends on it. It also matters whether it has a battery. This information can usually be found on the packaging (if not, contact your dealer or search for information online).
Some things to keep in mind:
- Avoid sex toys made of porous material , as they can leave bacteria on them even after washing. This applies to thermoplastic rubber (TPE) or polyvinyl chloride (PVC). Sex toys made of non-porous materials are, for example, medical silicone, glass, medical stainless steel, borosilicate glass (Pyrex).
- The material from which the toy is made must be medical . The mere indication on the packaging that the material is “safe” does not mean that it is medical or approved by the relevant authorities. The highest guarantee of quality and safety is the term “medical”.
Once you’ve found out what material your sex toy is made of, follow these tips:
- If the vibrator is made of silicone, glass, stainless steel and with a battery : wash it with a mild antibacterial soap that can be rinsed off and wiped with a dry cloth after washing.
- If the vibrator is made of silicone, borosilicate glass, stainless steel and without a battery : for more thorough cleaning, place it in boiling water and boil or wash it in the dishwasher, only without soap (hot steam sterilizes perfectly). Too much soap can damage sensitive materials.
- If it is made of plastic, elastomer, thermoplastic elastomer (TPR) or rubber: bacteria can remain on these porous materials even after washing, so use soap and water.
Also, if you plan to use a vibrator with a partner, use a condom .
Even if vibrators are used, protection is needed! To reduce the risk of infection, one way is to put a condom on the vibrator. Using a condom reduces the risk of bacterial transmission, especially if the sex toy is shared between partners.
No less important is the proper storage of the vibrator
Once your sex toy is clean, it is recommended that you wipe it with a dry towel and store it in the original packaging or plastic bag to prevent contact with bacteria.
Store sex toys in a package and in a safe place – in a nightstand drawer, bathroom closet, or clothes drawer. It is not recommended to keep it near oils, powders, and perfumes. A clean vibrator, stored in the right place, will not accumulate substances harmful to your body and will last longer.
You can also buy special sex toy cleaners. It is recommended to buy only water-based detergents (oil and silicone-based detergents can damage silicone). Look for hypoallergenic foam without parabens, without sulfates, and without alcohol. Spray them on a sex toy, massage into it, hold for 10 seconds, then rinse under water and wipe. There are also water-based antibacterial foams that contain not only alcohol and parabens, but also glycerin, triclosan. It will be suitable for especially sensitive skin.